Friday, August 24, 2012

Zombie Apocalypse and Food (not brains)

During our extended stay in Vancouver we went into the city numerous times. One day, we came across a horde of zombies! Turns out it was the annual zombie walk.






Some of the make-up was amazing!

Some "law enforcement" officers with not so standard weaponry were helping to keep the zombies at bay.

There were real police officers too.




Zombies of all ages.

Children on a thick chain so they can't run away - I like it.







One of our outings to Earl's Restaurant. We tried the tuna poke nachos, with a side serve of maple soy glaze. Very yummy.

My steak, garlic mash and veggies. This photo is actually the steak I had to send back because it came medium-well done, when I ordered medium-rare. Our waitress was quick to take it back and informed us that they would comp me the main meal. This is something you don't usually see at home - they would either just say sorry, maybe give you a discount on your meal. But giving you the main for free would not usually happen, so I was surprised. That and getting you refills of your soft drink free - something I'd like to see at home as well.


One day we went to a food truck festival, where trucks from all over the city congregate on a large parking lot and you get to see all the different trucks and food in one place. We got there early so we saw them setting up.




My first serve was some perogies, filled with salmon, topped with caramelized onion and a dill sauce.

Simone got hers from the Guanaco truck.

It was filling up after 12pm.

My second serve were the porkbelly bites and the risotto balls, with a berry virgin sangria drink from the Street Meet truck. My god the pork belly was amazing. In fact all the food was really good, but that to me was the highlight.


One day we went to Lynn Canyon to check out the suspension bridge and to go for a little hike. Some birds behind the bus stop having a good feed.





One of the Japadog trucks, I could not resist anymore and had to try one. It was very good but could have been a bit bigger for the price. The sausage was outstanding.


The dim sum truck! Sadly closed when we walked past it on the waterfront.

Our breakfast at the Wallflower Diner close to home. I had breakfast poutine with two poached eggs. Simone had the "Benny", basically eggs benedict.


Another outing at Earl's, I had the crab and prawn pasta.

Our friend Morgan had this delicious desert.

Today, on the first official day of the con, I went out on a search for a good place to have lunch at. I was quite hungry so I looked for "all you can eat" on Google maps. Now usually what I would have expected are the usual results, so either Indian buffet or some sort of Sizzler style salad bar affair, or maybe an Italian all the carbs you can eat buffet.

The closest place to my location turned out to be a Japanese place - Shabusen Yakiniku House. The reviews were good, so I thought I'd check it out. It was 1.30pm and when I walked in I saw there was a waiting line and the place closes at 2.30pm. So I asked the guy next to me whether it was worth waiting - and he just nodded and said "yep". So I put my name down and after only a few minutes wait I was seated.

Now: back home when you go for all you can eat sushi, it means you're at a sushi train and you pick whatever plates you like. Usually during the all you can eat time, the chefs will put mainly cheaper stuff on the train. Things like chicken roll, egg nigiri etc. At this place it was very different.

I was sitting at the sushi bar where the chefs prepared the sushi and sashimi. There also heaps of tables but they were all occupied. You get a small menu which you fill out with your order. Photo below. You can order and reorder as many times as you want and there is no time limit, except for the lunch closing time of course. And to avoid people going nuts with their orders, anything you can't eat you have to pay for.

My first order was conservative, I didn't know what everything was and I didn't know how big the portions were etc. So I ordered things like salmon sashimi, tuna sashimi, terriyaki chicken, alaska roll, chicken roll, spicy tofu and veg spring roll. I totally forgot to take a photo of my first order! It took about 5 mins for my first order to trickle in, everything was made to order. The rolls were freshly rolled, the chicken freshly cooked and you can watch the preparation. Watching the chef in front of me slicing the sashimi was fascinating, the speed of the slicing, the preparation of the fish fillets, and the accuracy were impressive. Slicing a whole fillet really fast and getting perfect 1cm thick slices...wow.


Below are some photos of my second order. The quality of the food was amazing. Below you can see the teriyaki chicken roll, alaska roll, tuna sashimi and the spicy tofu cubes as well as a teriyaki chicken in the last photo. The salmon sashimi was very nice but oh my god, the tuna sashimi was amazing! The tuna was served slightly chilled and was literally melting in your mouth, no chewing required. I cannot stress enough how good this food was, no wonder the place was absolutely packed.

And the price for this all you can eat affair: $13.50. No, this is not a typo. Thirteen dollars and fifty cents. And on weekends they do the korean BBQ in the all you can eat as well. Blows my mind.






No comments:

Post a Comment